I recently started re-designing one of my web sites: www.social-media-in-marketing.com.
I wanted this site to have two key functions:
- Provide an easy-to-use blog platform;
- Provide an online shopping cart platform.
In the course of redesigning, I discovered a way to build a professional looking e-commerce site for free. The secret duo combination is Virtue theme for WordPress + Woocommerce. The great news is that there are free version for both Virtue theme and Woocommerce plugin .
Virtue free theme is extremely versatile. For a free theme it’s loaded with tons of premium options. You will find it easy to customize and fully loaded with great features.
The clean modern design is built with html5 and css3 and uses the powerful responsive framework from Bootstrap to be a fully responsive and mobile friendly.
It’s fully Woocommerce ready with all the tools you need to design an awesome online store. It also comes with portfolio posts and pages that will show your work with great style. The versatile design is perfect for any kind of business, online store, portfolio or personal site.
Just in case you don’t know what’s WooCommerce, it is a WordPress plugin that allows you to easily manage your simple, digital and variable products in WooCommerce with an intuitive UI.
Most e-commerce/ shopping cart platform providers would charge you $29/month. You will be pleased to know that Woocommerce plugin is free!
Let’s come back to Virtue theme. Virtue has come with a powerful options panel where you can set things like your home layout, sliders, custom fonts, and completely customize your look without writing any CSS. You are going to love how easy this theme is to work with. Virtue free is Translation ready! This theme comes with Italian, Russian and Spanish language files as well as the needed .po files to translate into any language.
While I’m still constructing this new website, you can go to have a peek at the beta version to see whether you like it.
If you want to build a site like this, there are 5 key ingredients during the process:
- You need to have a domain name, which looks like this social-media-in-marketing.com. I use GoDaddy to buy domains. These days you can buy a domain name for as little as $2.95.
- You need to have a web hosting service. I recommend Hostgator Baby plan, which costs as little as $5 a month.
- Go to C-pannel “Quick Install” menu to install WordPress, which is free;
- Install a WordPress theme called “Virtue”
- Install a WordPress plugin called “Woocommerce”
I will record a video tutorial to provide a step-by-step guide in the near future.
[Edit] Step-by-step video tutorial is now available at